Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Naked Face Project info

I was listening to the radio today when I heard about The Naked Face Project. I was immediately interested and wanted to join in. The Naked Face Project is a challenge to not wear any make-up or do anything to make their appearance different such as waxing eyebrows, wearing jewelry, using acne or anti-aging cream for 60 days.

Before I get ahead of my self, I want to share a little bit about me. I'm 13 years old, will be 14 in a week, and like many other young women, I have fallen in to the trap of insecurity. Our society has changed the meaning of beautiful and tampered with images to make people think if they don't look like her then they are ugly. We think to be pretty we have to wear make up or wear jewelry.

God Created me to look just the way I am. He made me to look just like this, yet I try to cover it up or change it. I want to be real and not alter my look for 60 days. I think it will be very difficult. I am a teenage girl, enough said. I am home schooled so that will make it easier because I'm no longer trying to compete or make myself look better than everyone else. Yet I still go out and see people, and go to church every week.

As I mentioned earlier my birthday is coming up. I want to feel beautiful and special on my birthday. It will be hard telling myself that I am beautiful even without make up on. I will also being trying for my permit and I want to have a great picture. I guess this challenge will be harder than I thought. Easter is also coming up and I'm going to wear a dress and it will be weird wearing a dress but not having jewelry or make up on.


Here is a video  I found that shows how our society has changed what it means to be beautiful.




12 comments:

  1. I think you are one of the bravest people I know. I also know that you are beautiful, strong and amazing. I look forward to following you on your journey. Big love to you Liz.

    Molly Barker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AWESOME! You are beautiful just the way God made you and there could never be a more beautiful you.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ks3R2BwyO0

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be beautiful on your birthday and in your photo because you are a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of this is new or revolutionary-- at least, not for some of us. I say: Whatever makes a person comfortable-- that is how they should dress or use make up. I base this belief on my personal experiences, growing up in the 1960's-- the "Hippy Era"-- when makeup was frowned upon and hairy armpits were the norm. My mom was middle aged, and felt happier wearing her makeup... All us kids gave here a hard time, cos, of course, "natural is better". But, if dressing up makes you happy, where is the harm? Humans have NEVER been "natural", since we started wearing clothes & creating tools-- Heck, even Cleopatra wore eyeliner... So, do what makes you happy (though I DO suggest wearing deodorant-- THAT was an experiment from the 60's that really didn't work very well!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no god. You're the result of millions of years of evolutional brilliance. So, make the best out of it while you're at it. Not all those who wear make-up are insecure or eager for praise. They simply might like it that way. Same goes for people who don't wear make-up. Whatever you do, follow your heart and spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no god. You're the result of millions of years of evolutional brilliance. So, make the best out of it while you're at it. Not all those who wear make-up are insecure or eager for praise. They simply might like it that way. Same goes for people who don't wear make-up. Whatever you do, follow your heart and spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. to thine own self be true, sweet friend. i think it's BEAUTIFUL that you are experimenting with 60 days of no make-up. being a teenager is tough in this day and age. the media really does focus too much on the exterior and not enough on the interior.

    i suggest looking at your insides a little during this time of reflection. are your thoughts filled with love and compassion? if not, pray for help. if so, say a prayer of thanks. are your actions filled with love and compassion? if not, find ways to be of service. be kind to your siblings. write a note of thanks to your mom. volunteer at an animal shelter.

    show up and do beautiful things b/c when your insides are beautiful, your outsides will shine.

    sending you much, much love!

    p.s. when i was sixteen and hating my face, i decided to find something that i liked about it. turns out, i have very nice ears. and so, for a few months, i made a point of being thankful for my beautiful ears. eventually, that grew to liking my eyes, cheekbones and even my previously despised lips. i found out as you will, too, that we are all beautiful, perfect, healthy, whole children of god.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you every one for the encouraging words!

    To Vrinda: We all have our own beliefs and I pray that you will someday realize that there is a God and he loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing! I really hope you will get so much out of this & I can't wait to see where it takes you! You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, you are beautiful. Your confidence, your eloquent writing, your depth of being...incredibly beautiful.

    When I was your age, I wouldn't even get the mail unless I was wearing makeup. How crippling! That fact that you - at the age of almost 14 - have decided that you really don't need it, speaks volumes for sense of self and maturity.

    I have a ten-year-old son who will be entering middle school in the fall, and he is worried about fitting in at a bigger school with more kids. Teenagers like you are an inspiration to younger people like hime. I hope that I can help him be as comfortable with himself as you are. What a great gift!

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    As for wearing an Easter dress with no makeup...at the age of 42, I find myself going to dinner in a dress, with nothing more than a ponytail for adornment. It took me this long to be happy with looks (and I finally do think I am pretty without makeup); you, however, already know this.

    P.S. I love woman's comment (3/28 at 11:59 am). What a wonderful way to beging to appreciate all there there is about you!

    ReplyDelete